Thursday, April 1, 2010

OPPM & Meeting - 01 APR 10


Week 11 - Follow our progress on the One Page Project Manager*.

At our meeting we discussed what had been done on the website since we changed from using PowerPoint to building our prototype in html, using other sites (slideshare.com, blabber.com) and software (Captivate) to also create portions. We think we're doing a fine job and are on track to finish this month.

Take a look at our prototype. When you're done, come back here and leave some comments.

* This link will allow you to download the XLS file from the University of Hawaii Course Management Site, Laulima. You must have a UH Username to download from the site. Email the blog contributors if you don't have a UH Username and would like to review the file.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for using one page manager to track your progress. This is very helpful.
    dm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reviewing your tutorial. There is a lot of information for these children.

    I felt that the statement of objectives was overwhelming especially for young children. Why not just limit it to the two most important objectives: Review story elements and Learn to use an online social discussion. Save the details for the instruction in components.

    Similar comment about the introductory video. It is very good but probably could eliminate some of the details that may distract learners from the primary message. Save the details of log on until the component instruction. Keep the discussion simple, you don't need details about where to click but just show how they can enter in answers to questions and then comment on the answer of another student without the details of which buttons to click, etc. These details can be taught latter in the detailed tutorials.

    In posting to the discussions I was concerned about the "incorrect" when I was actually correct but just didn't use the exact words in the key. For example I typed "Mary Lamb" and got incorrect because the key was Mary and her lamb. This could be confusing to the student. Hickory Dickory was even more demanding in that it wanted a sentence that I was unlikely to type. Would it be better to not say correct or incorrect but merely present a typical response and ask the learner to compare there response to see if it was similar?

    You are making good progress and I'll be interested to see how the students react to this material.

    dm

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the whole task intro, I was with you up until the end when the video jumped to the "my page." If the goal is to use the Ning forum, the "my page" is additional and probably should be remove from this particular module, especially as (as far as I can see now) you don't refer to it in the rest of the module. I thought that the narration was clear and well-paced throughout, and I could see a lot of attention had been paid to making a smooth transition between the concepts.

    I liked the consistency of using the Wizard of Oz to discussion plot, character, setting, etc. In comparison, the Cinderella story seemed to drag on. I kind of lost sight of the fact we were actually learning more about Ning. :)

    I liked the ability to interact with the Ning page by clicking on the forum link, but didn't like the Mary Had a Little Lamb example as it was used earlier in the module, so the students would just be repeating what you had already covered rather than using their own thinking. Also, the visible link on the "Mary" page gives the correct answer. I also tried putting in a nonstandard answer and got it rejected, which could be problematic for children, as Dr. M noted above. Also, when that video was done, I got a blank white screen and was unsure on how to proceed.

    Overall, I see a much clearer focus and structure than in your initial draft. I know how much work it took to convert that into this! Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Julie, Michael, and Kellie appreciate your evaluation of our work. Mahalo.