Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Julie, Michael, and Kellie, working with Dr. David Merrill in an instructional design course at the University of Hawaii, are creating instructional materials to teach third graders to use Ning, a social networking site.
Thank you for this analysis. I liked your Ning 3G Pond chart. Looks like this will lead to a nice progression of problems and incorporates both story elements and discussion as we discussed in class.
ReplyDeleteThe third item is a little confusing with ask and tell. Ask, in the checklist, means to to ask the student to respond to information questions-- remember. If this your intent here?
Also guidance is usually associated with show and coaching is usually associated with do. Guidance helps the student relate information and portrayals together or to relate a portrayal to some organizing structure. Coaching, on the other hand, provides helps when a learner is having difficulty in solving a problem or doing a task. So is the third task with ask and tell referring to coaching for remembering critical story information? Should this be tell and do with coaching since the next task is do with no guidance which I assume means no coaching?
Based on the above clarification between guidance and coaching I assume that the remaining tasks coaching is intended rather than guidance.
Minor details. The progression looks great. I look forward to the prototype.
dm
Thanks, Dave. I fixed the Pebble in a Ning 3G Pond document and made it part of the developer's Notes on our module website. Click the pen icon in the navigation bar to see the notes.
ReplyDeleteI think I have the difference between guidance and coaching now.